Meet Mike Spitale
Parrish McIntyre Tire & Auto Service, Inc.
“It’s all about providing exceptional service at competitive prices,” says Mike Spitale, store manager for Parrish McIntyre Tire & Auto Service, Inc. And he should know, Mike has been running a store and turning wrenches since 1979.
Mike’s store does around $2 million a year in total business, with 52% of that coming from automotive and light duty vehicle service. The store has 16 bays, with four full time ASE certified technicians and two more people dedicated to tire work.
“We run 650 cars per month through the store’s bays, so we keep busy. But, I always make sure my guys are participating in training classes and reading as much as possible. You cannot repair vehicles today without constantly reading and learning,” Mike says.
His store sources about $600,000 in parts from four regular suppliers yearly. Mike says quick delivery service and quality parts are the reasons he sources from so many suppliers. “My technicians and I know which parts work best for certain applications – sometimes it’s an OE part, and sometimes it’s an aftermarket part. We’ll try a new part if our supplier recommends it and we’ve heard of it. But my reputation is on the line every time a car leaves the shop, and we don’t like comebacks.”
Mike is very appreciative of the training efforts by his suppliers and vendors. “As long as we’re learning something that will help us, it’s great. The moment they begin to go overboard with promotions and puffery, they’ve lost me.”
Tire Dealer Statistics
• Roughly 47% of total sales volume comes from auto service work
• Perform over $20.4 billion in auto service work
• Have an average of 6 bays per shop, totaling 180,000 service bays
• Employ 150,000 technicians with over 50% being ASE certified
• Average 5 technicians per location
• Control third largest number of technicians and service bays
• Use tire service to promote auto service work
• Have been in business an average of 23 years