Meet Nick Mitsos
President & CEO
Mountain View Tire & Auto Service, Inc.
Every month, Mountain View Tire services over 16,000 vehicles through its 29 retail locations, and Nick Mitsos wants every single customer to have a WOW experience. Nick literally wants each customer to leave any of his stores happier than when they came in.
“The automotive industry has always had a dark cloud hovering over it in terms of consumer trust. I thought how simple it would be to give someone the WOW experience knowing consumer expectations were so low. We have since raised that bar tremendously, and now we compete with ourselves in trying to continuously give our customers that experience. Our customers have grown accustomed to exceptional experience,” says Mitsos.
His philosophy has paid off in growing the company to $45 million annually in revenue, of which 55% comes directly from automotive service. That’s almost $25 million in automotive service work being done in 29 retail locations. Mitsos says his goal is to grow the company to someplace between $75 million and $100 million annually.
In his spare time, Nick fields a Pro-stock drag racing team that competes across the nation, spreading the word about his company. One of his company’s vendors, NAPA, is a major sponsor of the team.
Mitsos unique style and success have just made him the Modern Tire Dealer Tire Dealer of the Year for 2011 – the highest award an independent tire dealer can receive.
Mountain View Stats
• 2010 Sales: $45 million
• Total number of retail locations: 29 (with two more under construction)
• Service bays: 203
• Technicians: 170 (60% are ASE certified)
• Vehicles serviced per month: 16,000
• Monthly parts purchases: $560,000
• Average store size : 5,800 sq. ft.
Tire Dealer Statistics
• Roughly 47% of total sales volume comes from auto service work
• Perform over $20.4 billion in auto service work
• Have an average of 6 bays per shop, totaling 180,000 bays
• Employ 150,000 technicians with over 50% being ASE certified
• Average 5 technicians per location
• Control the aftermarket’s third largest number of technicians and service bays
• Use tire service to promote auto service work
• Have been in business an average of 23 years